Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon: Cataract, Lens replacement and Laser eye surgery
Personalised care with Aris:
- Aris is a UK trained consultant ophthalmologist, having performed thousands of procedures.
- He provides a broad range of procedures, including cataract surgery, lens replacement and laser eye surgery, such as LASIK and PRESBYOND laser blended vision. This allows him to advise the treatment most suitable to your eyes and needs.
- His practice focuses not only on improving eyesight, but also on achieving this with minimal if any need for glasses.
- He provides his care within the safe, comfortable and friendly atmosphere of traditional private hospitals.
- Aris runs private clinics at the Wessex Nuffield Health and Southampton Spire Hospitals, also at Boots Opticians Lymington.
Aris is a consultant eye surgeon at University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust with over 20 years experience in ophthalmology. He consults at various NHS and private hospitals, giving him access to the best diagnostic and surgical equipment.
He completed his medical degree (MB ChB) at the University of Glasgow, the fourth oldest university in the UK. He then moved south for his ophthalmology training in hospitals of the Oxford and Wessex Deaneries. Aris specialised in treatments and surgery of the cornea, ocular surface and cataract at University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust.
Aris sub-specialised further with a fellowship in cornea and refractive surgery at the Singapore National Eye Centre, one of the most prestigious eye institutions in the world, and worked with pioneers of corneal and laser vision correction surgery Professors Donald Tan and Jod Mehta. He then returned to the UK to take up the post of Consultant Ophthalmologist at University Hospital Southampton NHS Trust.
Aris specialises in treatment of conditions of the anterior segment of the eye.
Conditions he treats include:
- short-sightedness, long-sightedness, astigmatism and need for reading glasses
- corneal infection and scars
- Fuchs endothelial dystrophy and other dystrophies
- recurrent corneal erosion syndrome
He performs corneal surgery, including:
- standard monofocal lens
- toric lens (for astigmatism correction)
- extended depth of focus lens (for intermediate/near vision)
- trifocal multifocal lens (for intermediate/near vision)
He performs laser vision correction, including:
Aris has been Clinical Lead for the Ophthalmology Department at University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust for the past 5 years. He is passionate about improving patients’ access to care and developing community models of care for more timely treatment of patients closer to home.
He regularly teaches clinical skills and lectures medical students of the University of Southampton. He is a reviewer for many national and international ophthalmology journals.
Aris’ research has focused on optical coherence tomography and topographic imaging of the cornea. His work, carried out at the University of Southampton and Singapore Eye Research Institute, received numerous awards and led to the award of a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree. He has also researched novel applications of lasers for the correction of refractive errors, including their combination with prophylactic collagen cross-linking.
MBChB – University of Glasgow
MRCOphth – Royal College of Ophthalmologists
MSc – The University of Manchester
FRCOphth – Royal College of Ophthalmologists
PhD – University of Southampton
Registration with General Medical Council – on Specialist Register as Ophthalmologist
Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists
Member of the United Kingdom and Ireland Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
Member of the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
Member of the International Society of Refractive Surgery